Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baby legs!

Baby legs!


My friend Amanda is pregnant and I overheard her say to someone that what she wanted more than anything was legwarmers for her baby. I knew what I had to do. I went to JoAnnes and found a nice neutral baby yarn (she’s not finding out the sex of her baby), and then signed on to Ravelry. If you’re a knitter/crocheter and haven’t checked this site out then you’re missing out. Their advanced pattern search changed my knitty life!

That being said, there were very few baby legwarmer patterns and none patterns that I felt were quite right for this project. I guess I’m a little ahead of trend on this one- at least that’s what I’d like to think! ;) 

So the day is finally here where I’m winging it: my first project where I’m making up the pattern myself. I’ve been wanting to venture out on my own, but it’s a gift for someone. And I only have a few weeks until the shower, and I have yoga 3 nights a week, and work, and taxes for the shop, and volunteering, and AAAAH!

Not really (thanks, Yoga!). I was wise enough to know how busy I'd be and I decided to keep it simple- and also purchase a gift in case I didn't finish in time! I did ribbed cuffs at top and bottom and a simple stockinette stitch for the main part. The yarn is variegated anyway so it still looks pretty.

One with my hand to show the scale.


Since I was also winging it when it came to the size a simple pattern at first seemed smart. If they fit then I can experiment with some of the new lace or aran stitches that I’ve learned. I have a lot of the yarn left so in a few months when the baby comes I’ll make another, more interesting pair. Or a hat to match instead. 

1 comment: